Your stuff could be here!
Program Management System - 21st BCCE - Using Talking Probes to Conduct Chemistry Experiments Non-Visually
||Using Talking Probes to Conduct Chemistry Experiments Non-Visually
||The workshop will demonstrate how to use the Job Access for Windows with Speech (JAWS) text-to-speech screen reader interface with the Vernier Software & Technology Logger Pro data collection software package to collect data and give real-time probe readings in spoken output to students who are blind or otherwise print impaired. A series of JAWS hot keys have been created to provide spoken real-time probe readings and techniques to receive statistics information. Participants will also learn how to use an audio graph trace feature recently included in Logger Pro 3.8 designed to give print disabled persons a qualitative representation of the information being conveyed in a graph by means of an audible tone change. In addition to using the JAWS Logger Pro interface to enhance learning in the field of chemistry through the "Chemistry with Vernier" curriculum, hands-on ways to measure volume and lab bench organization will also be discussed.
|Number of times to offer workshop:
||In this workshop, we will be measuring the freezing point and melting point of water. The talking Vernier probes will be used to provide audible feedback to each user. In the second activity, each user will conduct endothermic and an exothermic reaction using hydrochloric acid and magnesium in one reaction, and the other will use citric acid and acidic acid. Temperature measurements will be made using the Vernier temperature probe. This will be interfaced with the JAWS text-to-speech screen reader to provide audible feedback to each participant.
||Co-presenters: Andrew Greenberg and H. David Wohlers
||Organizer will provide:
1. Temperature Probes (7)
2. Ohaus balance and USB connector kit (1)
3. Vernier Go link (7)
1. 25 mL plastic syringe
2. 60 mL plastic syringes
*Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions
1. citric acid, H3C6H5O7, 1.5 M solution (30 mL per run for 15 runs: 450 mL)--$20
2. baking soda, 1.0 M NaHCO3 (10 g per run for 15 runs: 150 g)—$1.00
3. hydrochloric acid, 1.0 M HCl, solution (30 ml per run for 15 runs: 450 mL)--$20.00
4. magnesium, Mg (10 pieces)--$50.00
1. 250 mL beaker (10)--$35.00
1. Styrofoam cup (10)--$2.00
*Freezing and Melting of Water
1. deionized water (100 mL per run for 15 runs: 2 L)--$5.00
3. salt (3-4 tablespoons per run for 10 runs: 30-40 tablespoons)--$1.00
3. test tube (large enough to hold 5 mL – 16x150 mm or 16x125 mm) (10)--$10.00
4. 400 mL beaker (10)--$40.00
1. ring stand (10)--$300.00
2. utility clamp (10)--$80.00
3. stirring rod (10)--$10.00
1. Cafeteria Style serving trays (10)--$50
You must be logged in to use this feature.